Sunday, March 11, 2012

Words from the Father

Well, I consider myself the impetus for this excursion. Several years ago, I stumbled upon an article in a magazine about the youngest person to ever do the Alcatraz Swim. He was just shy of his 10th birthday. I actually cut it out and pinned it to my wall for several years, occasionally seeing it and never forgetting about it because I knew we could "raise the bar" while "lowering the age". About a month ago I started mentioning it to my daughter, Jordan, to get buy in for it. She of course has agreed to it (and I am not sure if she knows exactly what she agreed to).
The question everyone will have is "Why?" My first answer is "Why not?" Secondly, I always believe that life is better when you have something to look forward to. It is also better with goals, challenges, and aspirations. This is on the radar, we are committed, and we're working toward it. That is a lot better than having nothing on the horizon, no Rubicon to cross.
Another question and consideration is am I pushing my daughter into something too hard?First of all, if she doesn't want to do it, she won't. Second of all, I believe in the difference between providing opportunities and challenges and being an overbearing, pushy parent. I also would not do this if I thought it was in any way dangerous. We're doing an organized event with exceptional safety measures in place. We are also going to have friends solely dedicated to providing kayak support for us. I know what we are capable of. If my daughter wanted to tree ski with me right now, I'd probably say no, too dangerous. But this-totally doable.
What about sharks? What about 'em?
I am lucky to be associated with the Dry Diggins Dolphins Swim Team in Placerville, CA, with the greatest swim coach ever, Coach Kristin. She is letting me do laps on Tuesday and Thursday nights after swim clinic. I made her promise to not be too harsh on my technique. Last Tuesday was my first swim sesh in years and it felt really good!
Thanks for any and all positive comments-the feedback we are getting is awesome!
Written by Tom F.

1 comment: