Friday, March 9, 2012

Beginning the Process of Alcatraz

One day my dad, Tom, was reading a magazine and came across an article about the youngest kid ever to swim from Alcatraz to San Francisco. I am younger than than the boy who did it, and I love to swim, so when Papa asked me if I would like to do it with him, I said,"definitely!". Now of course we have to train, because it's a mile-and-a-half swim. I do swim team, so it was no problem getting my coach to lend us a lane for a half hour after my session. She even gave me some tips on open water swimming techniques.

We thought this would be a great opportunity for a fundraiser, so we decided that we would raise money for nothingbutnets.net, an organization that provides mosquito nets to prevent the spread of malaria in Africa. Did you know that 3,000 kids die every day from malaria in Africa? If you donate $10, it will buy and ship one mosquito net which will save a person's life. We'll be asking people to donate to this cause, more information to follow!
Jordan

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jordan!! What a great project! I'm so excited to hear how your training goes and for your big day! Love, Auntie Becky

    ReplyDelete